Do you think social media runs on a fluke? Well, certainly not.
Various factors are integral to a business’s social media marketing strategy. Whether social media advertising or generating organic leads, your efforts will be unsuccessful until you evaluate all the involved social media demographics. In case you are unaware of the gender, age, ethnicity, group, and other relevant factors from which your target market usually belongs, there are chances of your strategy making no significant difference.
Hence, you can conveniently dwell on the knowledge of social media demographics involved within your business using a diligent social media analytics tool.
But before we take you ahead, here is a quick go-through of social media demographics and why you must know them.
What are Social Media Demographics & Why Must You Know Them
Demographics on social media refer to the statistical characteristics of social media users, including their age, gender, location, income, education, and other relevant factors. No matter what social media platforms your business uses, the demographics will likely differ within each platform. Hence, in order to create the right marketing strategy for your business, it is important to dig deep into the common social media demographics within your business.
Below mentioned are a few key reasons that can convince you to know the maximum about the social media demographics of your business.
Targeting the Right Audience
Knowing the demographics for social media users can help businesses target the right audience with their marketing efforts. For example, if a business targets women aged 18-34, it may focus on platforms like Instagram or Pinterest, with a high percentage of users in that demographic.
Understanding social media demographics can also help businesses tailor their content to resonate with their target audience. For example, suppose a business is targeting an older demographic. In that case, they may focus on creating more informative and educational content, while if they are targeting a younger demographic, they may focus on creating more visually engaging and Gen-Z relevant content.
Maximizing Ad Spend
By understanding the social media usage demographics, businesses can maximize their advertising spend by targeting the right audience with their ads. This technique can lead to more effective ad campaigns and a higher return on investment.
Knowing the social media demographics of your target audience can also help businesses stay competitive by keeping up with trends and shifts in social media usage. For example, if a business targets a younger demographic, it may need to adapt its social media strategy as younger users shift from one platform to another.
General Social Media Demographics Every Marketer Must Know
- The global number of social media users is 4.67 billion.
- Northern Europe had the highest social network penetration rate of 83.6 percent as of January 2023.
- China is the largest social media user market, followed by India.
- The average daily social media usage of internet users worldwide amounted to 147 minutes per day as of 2022.
- Facebook is the most popular social media network, with 2.9 million active users.
Related Article: 20 Social Media Post Ideas to Fill In Your Calendars in 2023
Social Media Demographics by Major Platforms
Being the most popular platform, Facebook’s demographics are essential for business marketers to cultivate a strengthened and profitable social media marketing strategy.
General Facebook Demographics
- In the fourth quarter of 2022, 1.3 billion fake accounts were removed from the Facebook platform.
- Facebook is the most popular social media platform for marketing purposes.
- On Facebook, Image posts drew the highest level of engagement from page fans, having an interaction rate of 0.12 percent.
Age and Gender Facebook Demographics
- Men between the ages of 25 and 34 years made up Facebook’s largest audience, accounting for 17.6% of global users as of January 2023.
- The male audience of Facebook was around 56.3% as of January 2023.
- The female audience on Facebook was around 43.7% as of January 2023.
Geographical Facebook Demographics
- Meta’s Facebook had 407 million monthly active users in Europe in the fourth quarter of 2022.
- Facebook had a combined 266 million monthly active users in the United States and Canada as of the fourth quarter of 2022.
- India is the leading Facebook audience country, with around 315 million Facebook users.
Ideally known as a Gen-Z social media network, Instagram brings a fusion of demographics for businesses to use a balanced target market.
General Instagram Demographics
- Instagram reported over 2 million users as of January 2023.
- The average reach for images on Instagram was 1850 users, according to a survey conducted in June 2022.
- Footballer Christiano Ronaldo has the most followed Instagram account as of January 2023.
Age and Gender Instagram Demographics
- 48.2% of Instagram’s audience is female as of January 2023.
- 51.8% of Instagram’s audience is male as of January 2023.
- The number of active Instagram users in Northern America is around 159.3 million as of January 2023.
- Almost 31 percent of global Instagram audiences were aged between 18 and 24 years till January 2023.
- Over half of the global Instagram population is 34 years or younger.
Geographical Instagram Demographics
- India has around 229.6 million active Instagram users per region.
- The United States has around 143.35 million Instagram users.
- As of January 2023, Brunei was the country with the highest Instagram audience reach of around 74%.
Content Reach Instagram Demographics
- The most popular post on Instagram was about Lionel Messi and his teammates after winning the 2022 FIFA World Cup with Argentina, posted by the account @leomessi with around 61 million likes achieved within a day.
- According to a global online survey conducted in 2022, 51 percent of weekly Instagram users preferred to see funny content on social media platforms.
Upgrade Your Social Media Presence With Social Champ!
Integrate a social media scheduler within your business and make the most out of your digital identity.
Highly acclaimed as a credible social networking and news platform, Twitter is no behind when it comes to popularity among the social media masses.
General Twitter Demographics
- The Twitter user base is estimated to amount to 457.63 million users in 2027.
- The United States is the country with the most number of Twitter users as of 2022.
- By the month of May 2022, Twitter.com had managed to attract 7.1 billion website visits worldwide.
Age and Gender Twitter Demographics
- According to the demographics for Social media Twitter, the platform is more popular among men than women.
- About 38.5% of Twitter users are aged between 25 and 34 years old.
- As of 2021, around 33% of people who had attained a college degree were using the Twitter platform.
Geographical Twitter Demographics
- Japan is the country with the second highest number of Twitter users – around 67.5 million.
- Thailand has the least number, with around 14.6 million Twitter users among the surveyed countries.
Snapchat, with its aesthetic features and fancy marketing techniques, stands at number 10th within DataReportal’s ranking of the most active social media platforms.
General Snapchat Demographics
- Snapchat reported 634.8 million users on the platform as of January 2023.
- The latest statistics indicate that around 7.9% of people on earth use Snapchat today.
- The platform had around 375 million daily active users around the world in January 2023.
- The Investor Relations report suggests that 10.1% of all people aged 13 and above around the world use Snapchat today.
Age and Gender Snapchat Demographics
- 51.0% of Snapchat’s global users are female.
- 48.2% of Snapchat’s global users are male.
- The largest share of Snapchat’s advertising audience is aged between 18 to 24 years.
- 3.7% of Snapchat’s total ad audience is aged 50 and above.
Geographical Snapchat Demographics
- India has the most number, with around 144.35 million Snapchat audiences.
- The United States takes second place with around 107 million Snapchat users.
- Columbia has the least number, around 6.35 million users of Snapchat.
YouTube is an impactful video content platform offering various types of video marketing formats, including YouTube shorts, YouTube ads, and much more.
General YouTube Demographics
- YouTube has around 2.1 billion users worldwide.
- As of November 2022, YouTube counted approximately 80 million paid subscribers across its Music and Premium services.
- YouTube is the third most downloaded entertainment and video-streaming app.
- “Baby Shark Dance” is the most viewed video on YouTube to date, with around 12.3 billion lifetime views on YouTube.
Age and Gender YouTube Demographics
- As of January 2023, around 54.4% of YouTube users were male.
- As of January 2023, around 46% of YouTube users were female.
- The United Arab Emirates was the country with the highest YouTube penetration, at approximately 98 percent as of January 2023.
- As of January 2023, 12% of YouTube’s global audience was composed of male users aged between 25 and 34 years, as well as around 9% of female users of the same age.
Geographical YouTube Demographics
- The users in the United States amassed approximately 11.7 billion visits to popular social video giant YouTube as of November 2022.
- With approximately 467 million users engaging with the popular social video platform, India was the country with the largest YouTube audience as of January 2023.
LinkedIn social media usage demographics vary by age, gender, income, frequency of use, subscription type, and more, as illustrated below.
General LinkedIn Demographics
- The share of US social media users on LinkedIn is 21%.
- There were around 19 thousand LinkedIn employees worldwide as of 2022.
- Around 900.2 million users could have been reached with LinkedIn ads in January 2023, making LinkedIn one of the world’s largest social media platforms.
Age and Gender LinkedIn Demographics
- 43.7% of LinkedIn’s global users are female as of January 2023.
- 56.3% of LinkedIn’s global users are male as of January 2023.
- 60 percent of LinkedIn users worldwide were between the ages of 25 and 34 years old
Geographical LinkedIn Demographics
- The United States has at least 200 million LinkedIn registered users.
- India has the second-highest number of LinkedIn users.
Aesthetic mood boards, appealing color palettes, and unique visual marketing aesthetics make Pinterest one of the surreal marketing platforms for businesses.
General Pinterest Demographics
- The platform has 450 million monthly active users as of February 2023.
- Around 5.6% of all the people on earth use Pinterest.
- Pinterest’s advertising audience reach grew by 10.6% over the past 12 months.
Age and Gender Pinterest Demographics
- 76.2% of Pinterest’s global users are female.
- 17.2% of Pinterest’s global users are male.
- 6.6% of Pinterest’s global users are of ‘unspecified’ gender.
- As of January 2023, Pinterest was most popular with women between the ages of 25 and 34 years old, accounting for 28.5 percent of the social media network’s global audience.
Geographical Pinterest Demographics
- The United States recorded around 84 million Pinterest users in January 2023.
- Greece has the lowest number, with around 1.84 million Pinterest users among the surveyed countries.
- Pinterest had a penetration rate of 29.4 percent in the United States, followed by the Netherlands and Canada, with 29 percent and 26.8 percent, respectively, as of January 2023.
Related Article: 20 Pinterest Statistics Every Digital Marketer Should Know in 2023
TikTok serves as a beast of global audiences. With its exclusive video marketing trends and TikTok ads, the demographics are quite interesting to dwell into.
General TikTok Demographics
- As of January 2023, around 1.051 billion users can be reached by marketers on TikTok.
- Around 13.1% of people on the earth are using ads on TikTok today.
- The United Arab Emirates was the country with the highest TikTok reach, with over 100% of the population using TikTok.
Age and Gender TikTok Demographics
- As of January 2023, 21.5% of TikTok’s global audience were women between 18 and 24 years old.
- Male users aged between 18 and 24 years made up approximately 17% of the platform’s audience.
Geographical TikTok Demographics
- The United States was the country with the largest TikTok audience by far, with approximately 113 million users.
- Indonesia followed the United States with around 110 million TikTok users.
- Saudi Arabia has around 26.4 million active TikTok users aged 18 and above.
Wrapping It Up!
Hence, after a comprehensive listing of the popular demographics on social media, it is clear that the trends are constantly changing, and businesses must adapt their strategies accordingly. Companies can effectively target their desired audience and improve their overall marketing efforts by keeping up-to-date with the latest trends. It is important to remember that social media demographics are not one-size-fits-all and that understanding the unique characteristics of each platform is key to success.
So, to sum it up, social media demographics provide valuable insights into consumer behavior, and businesses that use this data to inform their marketing strategies are more likely to succeed in today’s competitive digital landscape.